8. Houseing / Traffic
(Inquiries) Municipal housing: Housing and Facilities Management Division
(Inquiries) Prefectural housing: Nara Prefectural Housing Supply Corporation, Management Division, Occupancy Section.
If prefectural apartments have vacancies, they are advertised periodically in February, May, August and November. You can get the pamphlet at ‘Housing and Facilities Management Division’.
If you are selected from among those applicants, you need to submit a certificate of Alien Registration, a detailed statement of your annual income and other documents which will be required by UR.
UR housing should be for those individuals whose total household monthly income is within a prescribed range and who are capable of paying the rent.
(Inquiries) UR sales office in Nara (TEL 0742-71-5561)
Urban Renaissance Agency-Homepage(Website)
Letting rent fall into arrears, disturbing neighbours and owning pets, etc. should be discussed when the contract is made and signed. Failure to follow the conditions of the cotract can make the contract invalid and require the tenant to leave the rented property. You may be confused some major differences when renting an apartment in Japan, but please spare a thought for the owner of the apartment and future tenants by treating the place with care.
(Inquiries) Housing and Facilities Management Division
JA Ikoma (TEL 0743-73-4701)
Nara Prefectural Housing Supply Corporation ,Management Division, Private Housing Section. (TEL 0742-71-25-0771 x319)
Council of Local Authorities for International Relations -Homepage(Website)
( Multilingual Guide to Living in Japan – in English)
Driving a car in Japan
Driver and front-seat passenger must fasten a seat belt. (A child at the age of 5 years or younger must use a child safety seat.)
You are not allowed to own a car without a parking space.
National Police Agency- Homepage(Website)
(Basic Traffic Rules in Japan – in English)
When you pass a written examination and a skill test, you will receive Japanese Driver’s Licence.
To acquire a Japanese driver’s license newly, attend a course at the Driver’s License Center or a driving school.
(Inquiries) Driver’s License Center(TEL 0744-25-5224)
Note: Persons who are registered residents (have a juminhyo) of Japan or are registered aliens in Japan and have obtained an international driver's license after leaving Japan and then reenter the country, must have been out of the country for a period of more than 3 months to have the license accepted.
* Only translations by the consular offices of the country where the license was issued or by the Japan Automobile Federation (JAF) are accepted.
JAF (Japan Automobile Federation) - Homepage(Website)
Middle-class bikes (126 cc – 250 cc displacement) should be registered with Mini Vehicles Association.
Gentsuki-bikes class 1 (under 50 cc displacement), gentsuki-bikes class 2 (51 cc – 125 cc displacement) should be registered in Ikoma City.
Automobiles / Large motorcycles：Nara District Land Transport Bureau (TEL 050-5540-2063)
Middle-class motorbikes：Nara Mini Vehicles Association (TEL 0743-58-3700)
Gentsuki-bikes：Municipal Resident's Tax Division
(Inquiries)Ikoma Police Station (6-20, Higashi-Matsugaoka, Ikoma City)
Areas around Ikoma station, Higashi-Ikoma station are designated as No-parking-areas (see the map).
If you leave your bicycles in these areas, they will be removed, and will be kept at a warehouse for illegally parked bicycles. We indicate at the place that the bicycle has been removed. If possible, we notify the owner by mail.
When you reclaim your bicycle or motorcycle, you submit ID document and application of reclaiming.
And, you must pay transfer fee and custody fee.
When 60 days have expired, the bicycles will be disposed off.
Map of Car and Bicycle parking lots, Map of No-parking areas around Ikoma Station
Map of Bicycle parking lots, Map of No-parking areas around Higashi-Ikoma Station
Map of the warehouse for illegally parked bicycles
Sign of No Bicycle and Motorcycle Parking Area.
(Inquiries) Life Security Division
Mainly, Kintetsu Nara Line and Kintetsu Ikoma Line are available in Ikoma City.
(Inquiries) Kintetsu Ikoma Station(TEL 0743-74-2056)
- front-door system (pay fare in advance) When you get on the bus, put the fare money in the box next to the driver.
- rear-door system (pay fare later)
- From the right?side of a door, take a ticket and get in.
- When you get off, find out your fare on the list of fares above the driver by checking the number of the ticket, and put the fare money and the ticket in the box next to the driver.
- N.B. Because coins are required, you must change bills. (There is a money-changing machine next to the driver.)
- Overview of operations
- The buses operate from 9:00 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. on weekdays. They do not operate on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, and the period from December 29 to January 3.
- They operate at intervals of 45 minutes and one hour 15 minutes. There are 11 runs in a day.
- The buses can be boarded at specified boarding areas. Raise your hand when a bus arrives to let the driver know you want to board. There are times when the buses cannot stop even at specified boarding areas for security reasons.
- For safety considerations, leave the bus at a bus stop.
- When the weather is bad condition,the bus service between 15 Nishi-matsugaoka and 16 Nishi-matsugaoka will be stopped.
- The bus fare is 100 yen per ride. Primary school students can ride at half price, and preschool children can ride for free.
- Disabled people can ride for half price. Present your certification to the driver.
- Bus tickets for discounted rides are sold (11 tickets for 1,000 yen, or 11 tickets for 500 yen) at the Nara Kotsu Ikoma Information Center (North exit of Ikoma Station). Telephone: 0743-74-1881
- Special features
- These buses have wide doors that make it easy to board and get off. The floor of the bus interior has just one level.
- Capacity: 19 people; 12 seated, 7 standing
- Route map
- Operation schedule
Ikoma Station South Exit
Ikoma Station North Exit
Miraku Art Museum
Nishi-matsugaoka Children's Park
Koyodai Central Park
Koyodai East Park
Ikoma Station North Exit
Ikoma Station South Exit
Ikoma City Hall
(Inquiries) Planning and Coordination Division
You hail (stop) a taxi that is driving along a road by raising your hand.
You can also call a taxi by telephone. However, you will have to pay an additional charge.
Taxi doors open automatically, so when you are getting into and out of the taxi, let the taxi driver open the doors for you.
The taxi fare is indicated on the meter in the cab. This is the fare you must pay.
Tips are not necessary.
There are additional charges for early-morning and late-night rides and highway toll charges must be paid separately.